She is devoted to training cardiothoracic surgeons. She has been the Training Programme Director and Chairman of the Specialty Training Committee of London for the past eight years. In this capacity, she has been responsible for 35% of UK trainees.
She has been the Vice Chair of Specialty Advisory Committee of The Royal College of Surgeons of England.
Selected publications in education
- Soppa G, Yates M, Viviano A, Smelt J, Valencia O, van Besouw JP, Jahangiri M. Trainees can learn minimally invasive aortic valve replacement without compromising safety. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2015;20:458-62.
- Smelt J, Philips S, Fletcher N, Jahangiri M. Simulation of cardiopulmonary bypass including error and emergency scenarios. J Surg Educ 2016;73:1026-1031.
- Smelt J, Soppa G, Nowell JL, Barnard S, Jahangiri M. A Survey of Cardiothoracic Surgical Training in the United Kingdom: Realities of a 6-Year Integrated Training Program. Ann Thorac Surg 2016;100:2314-9.
- Smelt J, Valencia O, Nowell J, Roberts N, Jahangiri M. Agreement between examiners in wet lab assessment of cardiothoracic trainees. RCS 2017;190-194.
- Smelt J, Pontiki A, Rhode K, Bille A, Jahangiri M. A pilot study comparing imaging techniques and 3D printing in thoracic surgery. Ann Thorac Surg 2018
- Zakkar M, Benedetto U, Angelini GD, Murphy G, Shah R, Jahangiri M, Page R. Cardiothoracic surgery training in the United Kingdom. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2019 157:1948-1955.